Courier Mail, The (Brisbane), 22/02/2007, pg. 9

A MAN has admitted to two murders, four rapes and the manslaughter of a third man in a courtroom drama on the second day of his trial in Toowoomba Supreme Court.

Scott Geoffrey Maygar, 20, of Rockhampton, pleaded guilty to murdering David Lyons, 17, and Michael Thompson, 30, and guilty to four counts of rape of a young woman, all in a Toowoomba unit on May 30, 2005.

Maygar also pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Tyson Wilson, 17, but not guilty to murdering him in the garage of the unit on the same day.

Day two of the trial proceeded as planned until the lunch break, after which the court did not resume.

When the court assembled at 3.45pm, defence barrister Peter Richards asked that his client be re-arraigned.

Maygar responded to the murder charges impassively and showed no emotion as he admitted to the killings and rapes, which were so savage that blood from the victims dripped down the walls and splattered on the ceiling.

Maygar will appear in Toowoomba Supreme Court today for a sentencing date to be set.

Shocked parents and families of the victims were unable to speak to waiting media outside the court.

A victim support group spokesman said Tyson Wilson’s parents were disappointed that their son’s killing had been commuted to manslaughter.

Two other youths charged over the deaths have pleaded guilty and are yet to be sentenced.

The court had earlier been told the three people killed had died from fractures and head injuries inflicted by two heavy metal bars, a hammer, a billiard ball in a sock and a chain and padlock.

The court was told a group of youths was staying at Michael Thompson’s Hume St unit when the killings and rapes had been perpetrated.

Crown prosecutor Michael Byrne said the first victim, Wilson, was apparently killed because he had changed his mind about driving Maygar to Maryborough to get firearms the following day.

Wilson was sleeping on a mattress in the garage when he was killed with a billiard ball in a sock and a chain and padlock by Maygar and a youth who cannot be named.

Mr Byrne said that, once Wilson was dead, the motive for the following two killings might have been to get rid of the witnesses.

Maygar then went to a bedroom where a young mother was caring for her 21-month-old baby and threatened her and the baby with a knife before he and the youth repeatedly raped her.

Mr Byrne said Maygar’s accomplice then made an agreement with Thompson that they would not kill him with the bars but let him bleed to death.

But the two tried to break his neck and then bashed him to death.

Copyright 2007 / Courier Mail