Courier Mail, The (Brisbane), 05/09/2002, pg. 8

A DIRECTOR of a Toowoomba boarding house where two residents died could not explain why several pages were missing from medication records or why incident reports were missing, an inquest heard yesterday.

Ranleigh director Chris Campbell, pictured, told the inquest he had no idea why pages of a medication register kept by the boarding house could not be produced.

The missing pages covered two weeks of the month before a resident, Terrence Carty, 43, died in November 2000 of sodium deficiency as a result of drinking too much coffee and orange juice.

Mr Carty was taking the anti-psychotic drug Clozapine for severe schizophrenia at the time.

Staff had told the boarding house managers and recorded in a diary that Mr Carty had missed meals, gone missing or failed to take his medication on about nine occasions in the weeks before his death, the court was told.

Mr Campbell said he could not say, either, how incident reports made by staff in the weeks before the death had disappeared despite the boarding house having an archive.

Chris Campbell’s wife, Di, said she had known Terry Carty for 10 years and was aware for about two months before his death that he had changed. “For a week before his death I was aware that Terry Carty was not eating and was drinking large amounts of fluid,” she said.

Mrs Campbell said she had, in person and by phone, told three consecutive case managers caring for Terry Carty about her concerns for his health in the three months before his death.

She said mental health nurses had not told her what symptoms to watch for with Mr Carty, who was on medication for treatment-resistant schizophrenia.

When she found him in his room in a separate house managed by Ranleigh about 4pm on November 25, 2000, Mrs Campbell went across the road to phone an ambulance because the house had no telephone.

In evidence to the inquest, Mr Campbell said he had asked all staff after Mr Carty’s death whether they had documented everything relevant to his care.

But he disputed earlier testimony by cook Lynn Kennedy that Mr Campbell had told staff to add entries to a diary which he told staff to lock in a cupboard.

He said Mrs Kennedy, who wrote retrospective entries in the diary, had done so of her own volition.

“I could not understand why she wrote in the diary,” he said.

Mr Carty’s father, Frank Carty, told the inquest Terry had appeared at his Dalby home a week before he died.

He said he and his wife had discussed their concerns for Terry’s health with Mr and Mrs Campbell, who spoke to Terry’s case manager a few days before his death.

Copyright 2002 / Courier Mail